Tuesday, March 17, 2009

What's been going on so far.

Finally, I'm on my computer and dusting the blog, which I created a month back, to write some of my experiences so far preparing for the upcoming ALC ride. The 545 mile ride from San Francisco is all about endurance, its not how fast you can ride, but riding day after day. Its all about reaching a training phase where you can get up and ride 80 miles on a Saturday and Sunday, and your body and mind both say "yes" to riding again on Monday.

California, has been under drought for past couple of years. Interestingly the much needed rain arrived about a month back, and there has been few weekends that have been dry. It has been a little frustrating and I'm sure I'm not the only one. But there have been other activities that needed to be taken care off and kept me occupied on the wet weekends.

So far cycling and physical training has all been about understanding the mechanics of effective riding, my physical limits and boundaries. Areas that needs improvement. So a lot of statistic and knowledge to cram in. I learned some criticial components about competetive cycling and have been applying to use where possible. Some of these are:
  • Breathing techniques.
  • Pedalling techniques.
  • How to climb hills
  • Innovative technologies.
  • Physical conditioning (I would never mock Bosu, Pilates, Yoga! ever again)
My training rides so far have been from my house, in the Marina area of San Francisco, across the Golden gate Bridge to either Fairfax or Larkspur, that stretches beyond the rolling hills of Camino Alto. I have a great bike, but it is all about techniques I mentioned above, and will - while conquering even the smallest hill. So after first month of riding I'm very glad that I can now easily to this rolling hill ride of 42 miles without feeling dizzy after the ride ;) I cover some beautiful stretches of California during my rides, and I hope I can share them soon through pictures. But, this past month I thought it was not a good idea to have a distracted mind as I was learning a lot of new things and getting used to my bike.

I lucked out in learning a lot of techniques from a very good tri-athlete, Dario, who happens to be my neighbor. He has been very patient and a greater motivator in getting me to ride across the hills on my own now. We have not been able to do any riding this week, as it has officially been chest-infection week here in San Francisco!! I feel pretty bummed about not been able to take my bike out for almost a week now. Can't wait to get better. But on the brightside I got this blog going!

In the coming weeks my training needs to be at least 12-14 hrs/week. So I would have more to share, since there needs more to be done. So I would be back to tell you more about some new techniques that I learn - mostly Bosu and Pilates ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment